Norfolk Southern Safety Systems Product Owner - Atlanta, GA in Atlanta, Georgia
Safety Systems Product Owner - Atlanta, GA
Apply now »
Date:May 26, 2023
Location: Atlanta, GA, US, 30309
Company: Norfolk Southern Corp.
Requisition 35991 : B4 Safety Systems Product Owner - Atlanta, GA
A resume helps you stand out to hiring managers and recruiters; your resume communicates your experience and your brand. While it is not required, we encourage you to include an up-to-date resume along with a job application to give you the best opportunity to be considered. A complete resume helps us to better understand your unique background, relevant experiences, and passions. We look forward to learning about you.
We are looking for a Product Owner to support and drive delivery for our digital Safety Applications & Mobile Systems. This position will guide the detailed development of our next-generation of safety mobile applications and other tools used by field personnel at NS. Subject matter expertise regarding the real world needs of our people on the ballast line is important for this role, as well as a vision for how technology can help them execute their work safely and enhance our safety culture. The role will focus on product design and solutions to build and continuously improve the digital safety systems for Norfolk Southern’s employees and customers. IT expertise is not required for this position and training will be provided to cover any gaps in that realm.
Our Product Owners (PO) are key members of an Agile Product Management team. The role is responsible for facilitating the collection of business needs from business owners and serves to translate those needs into solutions. The Product Owner is forward-looking as it defines features and associated Objective & Key Results (OKRs) for the upcoming quarter using a product roadmap. The role refines the features in the backlog for the next quarter and is responsible for writing and refining user stories as well as maintaining a prioritized backlog for the sprint team. The PO drives and facilitates user story refinement and prioritization sessions ensuring the backlog contains 2-3 sprints of ‘ready work’ for development. The PO commits user stories to the next 2 sprints during Sprint Planning and must remain highly available to the development teams during each sprint in order to answer questions and provide clarity to user stories. The role facilitates sprint demos to the business owners at the end of each sprint.
The Product Owner is also crucial in development validation and quality control. The role will write test scripts, complete product testing for the current sprint, and coordinate business owner testing for releases. The PO will accept user stories as done, ensuring the acceptance criteria has been met. After sprint completion, the Product Owner plays a key role in conducting the sprint retrospective with the team.
The Product Owner coordinates change impacts, process and change delivery with the business owners for Change Management Plans for releases. The position is empowered with the ultimate Go/No Go release decision. Additionally, the position tracks progress against the OKRs after releases.
• Document purpose and benefit hypothesis for upcoming features in a technical application charter
• Collect business needs from the business owners (Operations personnel in the field)
• Develop understanding and expertise of business area domain knowledge, objectives, and goals in order to facilitate solution requirements from business owners
• Define features and associated OKRs for the next quarter using the roadmap
• Refine features in the backlog for the next quarter
• Assign business value in order to prioritize features based on data for the next quarter
• Draft user stories with acceptance criteria for the next 2-3 prioritized sprints or features
• Refine user stories in the backlog based on prioritization and business needs
• Facilitation of meetings with business owners to validate user stories
• Commitment of user stories for the next 2 sprints in Sprint Planning
• Facilitation of sprint read-out to business owners at the start of each sprint to share outcome of Sprint Planning
• Coordinate business owner testing for release
• Write test scripts based on acceptance criteria for business owner testing
• Complete product testing for current sprint
• Responsible for effective sprint stand ups
• Facilitate sprint retrospective with scrum team
• Escalate impediments to Product Manager
• Facilitation of sprint demos to business owners at the end of each sprint
• Coordinate change impacts, process, and change delivery with the business owners for a Change Management Plan for that release
• Provide Go/No Go decision for that release
• Track progress against OKRs for a 30-, 60-, and 90-day intervals after release
• Troubleshoot, coordinate, and maintain current production systems/programs/applications, as needed
Technical Skills (desired but not required):
• 2+ years of relevant product management, product owner or business analyst experience in an agile software product development environment
• 2+ years experience delivering software with agile scrum methodologies and other commonly used tools
• Strong requirement facilitation skills and proven ability to write concisely and clearly for different audiences.
• Strong business analytical skills with the capability of identifying, analyzing, synthesizing product use data.
• Ability to effectively and efficiently connect with leadership, technical and non-technical audiences while employing a high degree of collaboration and influence.
Job Related Experience:
Minimum Level: 1-3 year
Preferred Level: 2-5 year
Preferred Level: Bachelor’s degree in business management, computer science or related.
Skills and Abilities:
• Critical Thinking
• Informed Risk-Taking
Shift Work: Yes
Weekend Work: Yes
Travel Required: OVER 10 Days per Month
Since 1827, Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) and its predecessor companies have safely moved the goods and materials that drive the U.S. economy. Today, it operates a customer-centric and operations-driven freight transportation network. Committed to furthering sustainability, Norfolk Southern helps its customers avoid 15 million tons of yearly carbon emissions by shipping via rail. Its dedicated team members deliver more than 7 million carloads annually, from agriculture to consumer goods, and is the largest rail shipper of auto products and metals in North America. Norfolk Southern also has the most extensive intermodal network in the eastern U.S., serving a majority of the country’s population and manufacturing base, with connections to every major container port on the Atlantic coast as well as the Gulf of Mexico and Great Lakes. Learn more by visiting www.NorfolkSouthern.com .
At Norfolk Southern, we believe in celebrating our individuality. By leveraging the unique backgrounds and viewpoints of our employees, we can create a culture of innovation, respect, and inclusion. We know that employees thrive in a workplace where differing viewpoints, ideas, and experiences are freely shared and valued. As such, we encourage all employees to contribute their distinctive skills and capabilities to our organization.
Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Together, we power progress.