Rush University Medical Center Patient Care Sitter in Oak Park, Illinois
Department: Emergency Department
Work Type: Full Time (Total FTE between 0.9 and 1.0)
Shift: Shift 3
Work Schedule: 12 Hr
Provides direct visual surveillance for patients under the supervision of nursing staff. Provides continuous observation of adolescent, adult and elderly patients who may be unsafe to themselves or others. Notifies nursing staff to ensure optimal patient safety and patient comfort. Communicates frequently with patients, visitors and co-workers. Uses judgment in order to maintain good will and promote cooperation with the patient and family members. Uses discretion when presenting and discuss information about patients or unit activities. Demonstrates the abilities to rotate through different units in the hospital, and areas where assigned. Recognizes own limitations and seeks assistance as appropriate. Rounds on patient hourly and answers call lights, focusing on customer service and patient requests to the appropriate parties (RN or PCT). Exemplifies the Rush mission, vision and values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures.
• Orient patient to room and environment every hour or as needed.
• Engage in conversations to calm patient, reorient patient or guide patient to prevent harm to patient or self.
• Patients request for assistance are promptly referred to the nursing staff via the call light system.
• The Patient Care Sitter provides constant observation and monitoring of assigned patients to ensure safety and prevention of injury. He/she does not leave patient unless relieved by another staff member.
• Sits with an unobstructed view of the patient.
• Receives report from exiting PCT or RN including any patient specific behaviors to monitor.
• Immediately reports any changes(s) in the patient to assigned nurse or charge RN. At the end of the shift, reports pertinent findings to assigned nurse.
• Courteously greets patients, identifies self, and explains purpose for care.
• Accompanies patient off the unit for all tests or procedures or upon transfer to other units.
• Responsible for physical appearance of the patient's room. Maintains a safe work environment: Keeps patient rooms and unit orderly, according to guidelines and unit routines.
• Promotes and follows hospital infection control policies. Washes hands before and after patient contact.
• Demonstrates understanding of the use of unit technology (call systems, bed and TV controls).
• Maintains confidentiality of client information.
• Must have a caring attitude towards clients with the maturity to meet the demands of patient assignments.
• Must have ability and initiative to effectively plan, coordinate and carry out assignments without constant supervision.
• Maintains customer service focus during all interactions.
• Replenishes patient room supplies as needed.
• Allowed to perform non-direct patient care activity such as those a volunteer would perform.
Required Job Qualifications:
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Excellent communication and customer service skills.
• Ability to mitigate difficult situations.
• Excellent observational skills
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Prior clinical experience in an acute care setting.
• Work requires occasionally lifting or carrying objects 35-40lbs.
• Work requires ability to walk throughout the Hospital and to be standing or sitting most of designated shift (90%).
• Work conditions include constant visual observation of patient for an extended period of time where carelessness could result in injury or illness and/or contact with potentially infectious materials and/or strong chemical agents.
Rush is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Rush Oak Park Hospital has provided exceptional health care in Chicago’s western suburbs for more than a century. As a partner with Rush University Medical Center, we combine the convenience and personal touch of a community hospital.
Position Patient Care Sitter
Location US:IL:Oak Park
Req ID 1320
Rush University Medical Center
- Rush University Medical Center Jobs