Rush University Medical Center Student Nursing Assistant in Oak Park, Illinois
Department: Intensive Care Unit
Work Type: Restricted Part Time (Total FTE less than 0.5)
Shift: Shift 1
Work Schedule: 8 Hr
Under the direction of a professional nurse, the Student Nursing Assistant (SNA) assists the patient with activities of daily living, transfer and mobility skills, skin, bowel and bladder programs, and maintains a clean, safe environment for the patient. Exemplifies the Rush mission, vision and values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures.
• Properly applies safety devices.
• Assures that patients are set up and ready for meals and assists with feeding as appropriate.
• Performs accuchecks 30 minutes before meals or as directed by the RN and reports and documents blood sugar levels to the RN.
• Immediately inform RN of any change in patient’s condition; call RRT if needed.
• Maintains a therapeutic relationship to provide optimal customer-focused care.
• Communicates effectively with patients at level appropriate to age and cognitive status, showing sensitivity to cultural diversity.
• Interacts effectively with peers and other hospital staff to foster positive working relationships.
• Computer documentation is accurate, timely and at point-of-care when possible.
• Notify charge nurse whenever leaving the unit.
• Assists patients with personal hygiene and activities of daily living promoting maximal independence.
• Accurately calculates and documents calorie count, intake and output and patients weights.
• Assists patients with transfers and mobility activities observing appropriate techniques, precautions and assistive devices.
• Assists patients with bladder and bowel elimination programs and collection of laboratory specimens.
• Enhance patient satisfaction by hourly rounding and prevention of call light needs. Improves response to call lights when they occur.
• Work collaboratively with other members of the health care team to insure high levels of patient care.
• Follows CDC guidelines for hand washing and isolation precautions.
• Needs to be on the floor at all times during shift report unless directed by the Charge RN.
• Works as a team with nurse to ensure that the patient feels safe and well cared during hospital stay.
Required Job Qualifications:
• Must be currently enrolled in an accredited Bachelors or higher Registered Nursing Program.
• Successfully complete minimum of one semester of formal nursing education that includes at least one semester of clinical experience and/or CNA certification and currently enrolled in a nursing program required.
• Current CPR certification.
• Entry-level experience.
• Good communication skills
• Computer skills
• Good time management and organizational skills
• Familiarity with patient care equipment
• Ability to work weekends, holidays, and different shifts to accommodate staffing
• Ability to transport objects, patients and equipment
• Ability to respond quickly to patient needs.
• Work environment includes probability of exposure to adverse, hazardous, or unpleasant conditions while caring for the sick
• Ability to assist in evacuation of patients in the event of fire or other disasters
• Routinely works with potentially infectious specimens and patients.
• Ability to carry objects weighing >100 pounds.
• Ability to lift objects weighing 25-50 pounds, above 50 pounds utilizes appropriate lift equipment.
• Ability to stand and walk throughout most of designated shift.
• Ability to operate accucheck, computers, bed scales, beds, and carts
Rush is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Rush Oak Park Hospital has provided exceptional health care in Chicago’s western suburbs for more than a century. As a partner with Rush University Medical Center, we combine the convenience and personal touch of a community hospital.
Position Student Nursing Assistant
Location US:IL:Oak Park
Req ID 1292
Rush University Medical Center
- Rush University Medical Center Jobs