Blue Star Families Branding & Messaging Specialist, Storytelling in United States
Job Title: Branding and Messaging Specialist, Storytelling
Department: Storytelling and Experience
Reports to: National Brand Manager, Storytelling
Position type: Full-Time Employee
Pay band: $43,903 - $59,398
Blue Star Families
We're a growing non-profit (Military Service Organization (MSO)) with a history of delivering innovative solutions. We're the team that senior DoD leaders seek out when they want ground truth on issues facing our military families. Our team members are motivated individuals who help each other do remarkable things for military families to bridge the civilian-military divide every day. We deliver first-class solutions that transform the military experience for military family members. We operate in an agile, highly caffeinated arena where great minds come together to make life better for military members and their families. We focus on data-driven insights while understanding the value of spirited storytelling. We do all this in a highly flexible, virtual environment with unlimited PTO, time off for military moves, paid holidays, 403b match, and benefits! Our diverse and inclusive environment fosters a sense of belonging among our team resulting in innovative and creative decision-making.
Are you ready to make a difference for the families of those who serve our great nation? We are the ideal match for the innovator, the out-of-the-box, strategic thinker who understands the value of social impact. You are self-motivated, curious, and have a passion for doing good. Challenging objectives, pivoting priorities, and the ability to react to an ever-changing environment that allows your true strengths to shine.
Blue Star Families is seeking a Branding and Messaging Specialist, Storytelling to produce written and visual content to support the overall Blue Star Families brand. Reporting to the National Brand Manager, Storytelling, this position empowers the organization to succeed by producing compelling messaging and visuals that resonate with Blue Star Families members, aligning the organization with long-term branding strategy and goals. The ideal candidate will have proven success in a marketing, communications, graphic design, or creative services environment.
Key Job Functions
● Support the organization’s overall communications strategy through compelling visuals and messaging, ensuring that all assets appropriately represent Blue Star Families’ brand and focus
● Develop and adhere to necessary standards and guidelines to ensure uniform branding is achieved and maintained
● Collaborate with internal and external teams to achieve desired results
● Other duties as assigned
Required Experience, Skills, and Background
● Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing/Advertising, Graphic Design, or related field, or equivalent experience
● At least 3 years of relevant experience in copywriting, brand communications, graphic design, marketing, advertising, or in a creative services environment
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Strong attention to detail
● Creativity and an ability to produce innovative and original ideas
● Ability to work and communicate effectively with people from different backgrounds, and foster teamwork
● Comfort with technology and working with technology teams, including using Salesforce or other CRM
● Out-of-town, overnight travel may be required
● May be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays as necessary to carry out key job functions
Desired Experience, Skills, and Background
● Experience and/or comfort working in a virtual/remote environment
● Familiarity with and passion for military culture, lifestyle, and terminology
● An understanding of trends and an ability to respond to current trends as it relates to the member experience
● Time and project management skills, including the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
● An ability to think strategically and come up with campaigns relevant to the MSO/VSO communities
● Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
About Blue Star Families
Blue Star Families empowers military and Veteran families to thrive by connecting them with their civilian neighbors — both people and organizations — to create strong communities of mutual support. We believe we're all stronger when we take care of one another.
Our groundbreaking research is raising the nation's awareness of the unique challenges of military family life. With the help of neighbors across the country, Blue Star Families is overcoming the isolation and alienation of frequent moves, deployments, and reduced support from the government. Our innovative programs are solving specific challenges for military families, including fighting economic insecurity with resources that foster spouse career development, creating family strength with rich family programming, and providing critical peer support for caregivers, whose numbers are only increasing.
Blue Star Families is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Blue Star Families is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Why Blue Star Families?
Virtual/remote nonprofit organization that moves with you (position specific)
Career growth opportunities
Excellent benefits (403(b) with matching, Flexible Spending, Life Insurance, Short-Term Disability, Communications Allowance, and more)
Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Leave for Active Duty Military Spouses
On-the-job professional development training
Front-line opportunity to positively impact the military experience